Sunday, October 31, 2010

The Social Word

I'm pretty sure I was probably the last person of my generation to see "Social Network" so I hope I'm not spoiling it for any of you with this post. This was one of the most memorable movies I have seen in a long time... thought-provoking, intellectually stimulating and completely accurate in regards to understanding our generation. The movie centers around the idea of this social revolution, brought on by Mark Zuckerberg, which curtailed business values into what they are today. One of the happy coincidences of this movement has been the appreciation of language.
His story and the founding of facebook outlines our new business model and objectives that my generation has inherited. The movie mentions that there was a code of ethics inherently in business and that MZ was breaking all of these rules to create his company. Means and opportunity trump networking and impressing the big wigs. The thing about the good ol' boys is they can't  fathom reaching outside of their circle, now we're forming an entirely new circle or intricate web that is inherently social. Additionally, exclusivity has died. The importance lies in the amount of people you know and the depth of your network. And, we're forced to make more and more friends, while reading about people through the Internet without the commitment of actually getting to know them. What more do you need to know, their status on facebook or Twitter says all... Here's an example, the other day I found out my best friend from home just welcomed her nephew home, I texted her a congratulations with three exclamation points, because clearly the repeat punctuation means more. While this position might sound negative, it makes me happy that we are growing closer and closer to the English language and making sure we text what we mean and mean what we text.

Thankfully, this movement will finally show people why I've decided to commit my life to writing. The use of the language has never been more powerful. It has become incredibly transparent and as explicit as the 18th century novel. We're welcoming back a form of writing that connected people through the most distant circumstances. This writing is a way to understand the human connection in an era where we are all strangely connected.

So keep writing, texting and making nonsensical tweets ... as always, I'll write to you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...