Monday, October 11, 2010

Reality ... really embarassing

I had a rough week. Innocently, walking out of the subway a bird pooped on my hand, this was the first in a sequence of unfortunate events. Anyone that says a bird pooping on you is good luck, has never had bird poop on them. The day proceeded to go down the proverbial crapper and I went to sleep hoping and praying for a better day. The good thing about a bad day is, tomorrow is bound to be better. I have found one sure way to bring up your spirits: the cure? Indulging in reality shows! I love watching random strangers make poor life choices to make me feel better.  I watch people duke it out on the jersey shore over a can of self-tanner or  people burying themselves in trash (which they became emotionally tied to). But, there are two shows I can't bear to watch: Teen Mom and Bad Girls Club. Teen Mom, the title is self explanatory on its ridiculousness so I'll dive into the other nonsensical entertainment show: Bad Girls...

This show is appalling, but on a small scale the relationships can be seen in real life. In the "bad girls" house you can harass a girl by throwing anything at her: milk, water, vodka, beer, BLEACH! All because you didn't like the way she looked at you -- it's fine, because there are producers to intervene when things get out of hand. It's sad because the dramatized (unnecessary) fights that happen are just hyperbolic versions of female relationships.  Take for example the ever popular "I don't like her, because I just don't"... I'm sure there are women that can admit to this or have been subject to such reasoning. However, since we live in the real world, women have to resort to subtle and snide ways to humiliate each other. This discrete battle royal is almost worse than television prompted drama because social decency doesn't allow you to retaliate, so you hold in that anger plotting for your moment to make a dig. 
I'll be the first to admit I'm not up to date on my women studies, but I'm pretty sure part of the movement was for women to band together and stop bringing each other down. In principle it's great, I'm all for it, but in practice it doesn't happen that easily. There are so many different elements that divide female relationships and yet, some things about women are predictable across the board.
As an example, the historical need to over-preform just to be on par with your male counterparts. (And sorry Black women -- you will need to over achieve in regards to your male counterparts as well as your racially opposite sisters.) I'm not going to pretend this will ever be any different or that our predictability and differences will harmonize into a real life sisterhood, but I would like to note the following:
1. Women (of all races) tend to live their life in hopes of making a permanent mark on history. Stop trying to write history, what has happened is unchanging, you have a better chance of changing the future.
2.We don't live in a scripted reality, and be thankful, we haven't been forced into a real life "bad girls club". We still have common decency and social norms that prohibit bleach from being thrown.
Oh, and a kind and smart woman told me number 3: "bird poop comes off easily"!

1 comment:

  1. "Anyone that says a bird pooping on you is good luck, has never had bird poop on them."

    It's good luck!
    Nope, I've never been pooped on :p

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...