Tuesday, December 28, 2010

I resolve ...

 I've been thinking about the New Year and what to "resolve" or more specifically, what  are all the things I want to make different in my life. 

Will 2011 be the year I:
Get an apartment on my own? Add a kitty or two to my one person family? See my family more often?
 I have this friend who grew up playing sports and she lives by the code of decorum teams and the athletic life has taught her, so she's always having us make goals. My three girlfriends and I will sit at dinner and she'll pop up with "OK, so what are your goals for the week?" It's a tedious process because it's almost like saying it out loud makes you act on it, since you know at least three other people in the world will call you out if you slack off. I love it and hate it. In sports you are judged on your stats - so of course the more you points you score per game the more valuable you become. However, you can also gain credibility for at least shooting at the goal, but I'm committed to a sport that only has a finish line... 
There are a lot of things I've started in 2010 - becoming a writer is one of them, becoming a marathon runner, making peace with some of my relationships, etc.  Like any other race these have to come  full circle. So I think this year, I will resolve the following:

  • Be happy 360 days a year
  • Be a writer to my toughest critics
  • Be a marathon runner
  • Live in the moment and stop planning so much!

Great. Now I've told at least 30 people and 1 person in India, guess by this time next year I better make good on these.
A note for my dear readers; although resolve means to "clear away, reduce, break with" I suggest only making one of your goals this year a reduction and the other resolutions should add to your life - just something I learned you're more motivated to do something positive than negative!

Happy New Year, write to you soon. 


  

2 comments:

  1. I read that Queen Latifah makes and starts her New Years' Resolutions in the beginning of December, so she can get a jump on it. No wonder she is so amazing; she gets a head start every year! I'm not as confident as you are that I'm going to be successful with my goals, so please keep inspiring me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're my inspiration Jenny! We're very similar in that we love to plan that's how we get things done. How about we do a to-do list for the year? First on the list: Visit good friends you don't see that much.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...