Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Duh.

Guess what, if you train for a marathon - chances are it will go well. Adding another addition to the letters to my younger self :

Dear Younger Self,
Running 26.2 miles is no joke. It's not something you can half @$$ do and it's certainly not something to just run on hope - you need a solid base, hard work and mileage.

Last year my marathon was terrible. Take a look at Long Time No Blog for a snap shot. I won't even tell you my time, but the little truck was on my heels. For anyone who doesn't know each marathon has a time limit - it's typically 6.5 hours, or you must complete the half in 3 hours or something to that extent. Otherwise a huge truck comes nipping at your heels picking up cones threatening to swoop you up and rob you of that finishing medal. Last year I almost fell victim. This year I trained. I bugged my co-workers, complained of sleeplessness - got a personal best and I'm excited to do it again! Ok, it wasn't all candy canes and Christmas - there was a point after the 13.1 miles where I rejoiced - WOOO HALF WAY DONE .... oh wait, I have 13 more miles to run. Two more plus hours. The miles between 13 and 19 are the hardest, coincidentally there were no bands, or cheer squads to be found. I had to rely on my counting, random observation and thoughts, good thing for my imagination.

Short post, but to the point. No worries, more stories to come this week for my dear readers.

4 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...