Monday, May 23, 2011

A Girl Weekend

A girl moment - defined as being the point in time when a girl (or woman) digest information in a way that sometimes leads to an impractical line of reasoning.

So, you can imagine the amount of girl moments and unlicensed psychotherapy that endured over my mini girls get away to Connecticut. First there was a comparison of boys - who's the best, who sucks right now and who needs to get the boot (yes, honeys you were in the running for the best). Then there were the wine confessions. Basically we participated in all the things you imagine girls do when they get together minus braiding hair (we left that one alone).  It was all very interesting each of us in our own stages of budding relationships.

For me, my girl moment was when I definitively began to see what an adult relationship looks, acts, and feels like. When you go on a girl's weekend there is no need to call someone every five minutes or worry what the other person is doing that very moment. I remember in high school I dated someone and you would think we were literally connected at the hip. You know how  journalist fuse first names together to demonstrate the intertwining lives of the celebrities, like Brangelina...? We'll let's just say my first, middle and last name changed because I couldn't move without this person knowing exactly which direction I was going. Don't get me wrong we loved it, relished in it - but anyone who's had more than one relationship, knows your first relationship is your most intense and potentially the most unhealthy. You could find both of us relinquishing fun times in hopes of preserving a few more months, that's when we started to feel like we were wasting time.

An adult relationship seems different, a little more grown up. You're secure with your relationship enough to not feel guilty for having fun without them. I'm not saying my relationship is super mature and we are 100% there, but I don't feel like my time is being monopolized or wasted. I cherish our time together without thinking of moments as a memories, but as a parts of the continuum.

So there you have it, my girlz weekend shone some light on my boy situation.

But isn't that what girl weekends are for? Finding at least 3 other people in the world who read, analyze, dissect and reconsider things exactly the way you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...