Sunday, August 21, 2011

Rom-Coms and Puppies!

I haven't done a book review in AGES, but I have finished reading several books that can be classified in the lipstick genre - you know, rom-coms in print? The genre that classifies books in the women can never leave home without: lipstick, cell phone, rose colored glasses and a rom-com.
So, while I'm sure my fav authors like Giffin, Davis and Weisberger are coming up with the next best seller in this category I decided to branch out and read a pet-centric, rom-com. Allie Larkin's novel called Stay was the story about a women who drunkenly purchases a Slovakian bred- six month old German Shepard. The novel ebb and flows through the heroine's processing of her late mother's passing, getting over her long time love who recently married her best friend, and maintaining a relationship with her new dog's veterinarian. At first the tangle of relationships seemed daunting and I feared that one relationship would become overshadowed in the book versus another, I was pleasantly surprised when I felt equally enamored in all.
Now, there was one piece of this novel that was slightly unfortunate: the heroine. I learned by a helpful tweet from Ms. Terry McMillan that heroines are suppose to be completely lovable and flawed, yet that flaw must be redeemable. It's kind of like the whole idea of falling in love, you love someone for everything about them - including their flaws. However, I couldn't get over that the author painted this picture of a really unfortunate looking woman, yet everyone was falling head over heels for her - even her vet, who I pictured looking like Ryan Gosling. I don't think her flaw should be her looks, that's just vain - her alcoholism could be one, but I think that trophy goes to Chelsea Handler.
However, the test of a good romantic comedy book for me is when your love for the book turns to sadness and you hate that the book ended and you want to hear about the relationship for 100 more pages; read about their first fight and see what their first child will look like! With that said,  I was sad when this book ended I was even hoping that the dog would meet another dog and have puppies, but that's my romantic side - always looking for the happy ending. Oh and this book made me want to have a pet - or at least babysit my friend's dog.
Until next time my dear readers - hope you pick up this one!


1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed this one, too, but also had a sort of strange vision of what Van looked like! Alex was totally the redeeming quality here, though; whew, fell so in love with him!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...