Saturday, March 26, 2011

How to practice safe cycling.

New York City has a Greenway that stretches alongside the Henry Hudson Highway, there is also one alongside the East River. Our city encourages people to use "green" transportation to travel throughout the city. Now, the greenway is also home to many skaters, runners and walkers - yes, cyclist you must share. During my run today I reached a turn around point at the first leg and I turned my head to look and a cyclist ran me over! Toe, throbbing I had to tell this wanna be Lance Armstrong that unless he was in the middle of the Tour de France, he should slow down. He yelled something back at me, but I was timing this run so I just kept going on my merry way. Here are a few points:
  1. If you are operating a car, bicycle, roller skates, roller blades or skate board - you are no longer a pedestrian and must yield to walkers and runners.
  2. Just like any sport, there are several rules of etiquette to follow, when passing on the left - announce it. 
  3. You know those bike bells? Buy one.
I hope in some strange way of the universe the man that ran me over with his bike finds this post and takes the appropriate actions to practice safe cycling. Oh and my toe is just fine, finished my 18 miler with an extra half mile for good luck.

2 comments:

  1. My goodness, eighteen miles??? I doubt that biker was riding that same distance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly so I should have the benefit of the right of way for running and running really far. Thanks for the comment :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...